Sunday, July 31, 2011

The 5 Senses of Silent Retreating

I just returned from my first silent retreat experience :) After such a hectic, jam-packed week of Orientation, it was a much needed rest. I spent my time reading, drawing, journaling, napping, and sitting outside in the beautiful sunshine (don't worry Mom, I stayed in the SHADE :) ) I wrote down some of my observations to share:

I hear...
the whistle, chirp, chortle of birds
the soothing woosh of wind rustling the leaves of trees
the soft (and sometimes loud) thump of footsteps
a sudden burst of surprised laughter
the quiet intake and release of breath
the sweet melody of a piano

I taste...
sweet green and purple grapes
tangy BBQ chicken (yum!)
refreshing lemonade
gooey, cheesy eggplant parmesan 

I see...
warm smiles that light up an entire face and cause eyes to crinkle around the edges
heads bowed in deep thought and prayer
lips trying to mouth words with varying degrees of success :)
blue sky, sunshine, and green leaves
words filling the blank pages of journals
a strange brown and yellow bug crawling across my leg
chipmunks coming out of hiding

I smell...
crisp, clean air
freshly showered hair
that familiar "pillow" scent

I feel...
the warm breeze making my curls dance
the soft and gentle presence of a hand on my shoulder
the ground firm beneath my feet
the calm and inner peace of being still
the love of the community surrounding me

No comments:

Post a Comment