Monday, January 23, 2012

Elementary school graduation godmother?

Yes, I now can claim that title! Here in Ecuador, godparents are not a one-time choice. Kids get godparents for baptism, 1st communion, elementary school graduation, confirmation, high school graduation, and even marriage. Being a godparent may entail paying for a fiesta, buying presents for their godchild on holidays and birthdays, being a support. But when Mónica asked me to be her son, Mauricio’s, godmother for his graduation into high school, it wasn’t for any monetary reason. One of our Rostro rules is “No gift-giving”. For me, this made it even more of an honor. To know that they chose me as a role-model and someone who will stay involved (even from afar) in Mau’s life means the world to me. And when I said yes, I did so with the knowledge that this is a life-long commitment. I’m incredibly proud of Mau already (he received a special “diploma de oro” for being one of the top students in his class), and I look forward to seeing where life takes him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment